Pages

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Intro to: Fast players, Good fielders?

Developing my Fielding Linear Weights was hard, but well worth it.  I can use it to study a few issues including the one I'm going to start over the next week or two.  Do fast outfielders make good defensive outfielders.  Most people's thought process would think something like this. 

More Speed=More Range=More Putouts/Assists=Good defensive outfielder.

Obviously I needed to capture the value of speed.  And that's where my newest metric comes in, Speed Runs like it's name suggests measures speed.  To know what goes into this metric, here is my blog post on it here.  http://regresstothemean.blogspot.com/2014/10/speed-runs.html

When looking at two metrics and forming a conclusion off of them you need to make sure these two metrics work.  If they don't work then you will draw bad conclusions.  I have continued to tinker with each, and by the time the results come out on this the formulas for my fielding and base running metric could be slightly different.  I already know the Speed Runs will be different from the one in that blog post. 

So armed with these two new formulas, I want some questions answered.  These are:

Are players with good speed, good defensive outfielders?

Guess:  My gut tells me yes.  One potential drawback of having good speed would be overrunning the ball.  I would think that affect would be small though.

Do slower outfielders make bad defensive outfielders?

Guess:  I think the correlation here is not good.  I know quite a few bad defensive outfielders. 

Using the data we have, by the end of this study we will have the above two questions answered and maybe even a few more questions that we discover throughout the research of this.  If we don't get these questions answered we can always go back multiple years and add those to the study along with 2013/2014. 

Thanks for reading.  Remember to follow me on Twitter @CastroRizzo      

No comments:

Post a Comment