Pages

Monday, October 27, 2014

Fielding Metric for Total Runs


As you may or may not know I have now came out with a fielding metric.  I think I’ve only posted results/formulas for outfielders and middle infielders.  I’m working on expanding to other positions as well but for now all positions have not been completed.  Meanwhile, I have a bit of a problem on my hands for Total Runs. 

About a year ago I introduced Total Runs and made adjustments like Park Factors to it.  This summer I made yet another adjustment and that was based on the leagues offensive power.  My metric I used at the time for it was DRS, also known as Defensive Runs Saved.  As I mentioned in the first paragraph I have invented my first defensive metric and it’s reliable, kind of.  You can’t tell me DRS is reliable too though.  You know that’s the problem with defensive stats, throughout building my Fielding Linear Weights metric I was constantly comparing it to what DRS and UZR said while I should be comparing it to my subjective knowledge.  So, to make this long story short I think I’ve made up my mind on this regarding whether to use DRS or FLW and that is I’ll be using DRS.  There is one main reason for this and that is:

1)    If I choose FLW, I would have to figure all of the Fielding Linear Weights before I could do any Total Runs values. 

 

There is also a secondary reason and that is, I think I might need another year of tinkering with FLW before I insert it into Total Runs.  The trustworthy and common acceptance might be a bit lower on FLW than DRS too. 

 

That’s all I have for today.  Thanks for reading, some results on 2014 data regarding Total Runs, FLW, and other stats I created should start to appear on here in about 1-2 weeks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment