Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Total Runs for Great Seasons


Total Runs for player’s top seasons

Bonds 2004: 230 Total Runs

Lajoie 1901: 150 Total Runs

In defense of my Lajoie rating, I know many of you will think this is awfully low.

A)    Lajoie only walked twenty four times in his best season 1901.  He was the best hitter in the league but it doesn’t offset his terrible walking.  His Secondary Average which takes into account walking skills, stealing bases, and total bases is a dreadful .219.   I know there was not a lot of people who supported walking in those years, instead opting to try to win the batting title.  Still, I think he was one of the most overrated players in MLB history. 

B)    Don’t get me started on his fielding.  In his 150 Total Runs score from me included Fielding Runs which thinks he is one of the best fielders ever scoring him at +22 runs.  So consider that 118 score generous to say the least.

 

Maris 1961: 127 Total Runs

A)    This number has been modified for one reason.  My metric did not know how to handle the impact of big power seasons.  So I added a bit of a twist to it.  If you hit 40+ bombs you’re score will go up thirty Total Runs.  There is no adjustment for 30+ homeruns has to be above 40+ homeruns.  So, yes I admit before I added that twist this number was 90 which I thought was absolutely ridiculous.  There has to be a human element to your stat, it has to make sense that people rate where they do.

 

 

Gwynn 1987: 154 Total Runs

Wagner 1908: 174 Total Runs

 

A)    Wagner’s Total Runs before the League Run Environment adjustment were not all that impressive.  Now after the adjustment because of the extreme pitcher friendly league Wagner’s Total Runs boost by about +30.  I mean even after the League Adjustments it might still be a bit low for how bad Wagner’s fellow teammates did compared today’s standards.  His league that year had a .299 OBP, pitchers in his league pitched to a 2.35 ERA and somehow in between all of that Wagner found a .415 OBP.

 

Morgan 1975: 164 Total Runs

 

A)    Joe Morgan used to be embraced as one of the players sabermetrics made look better.  That had been true until advanced defensive metrics have been released, many of which aren’t big fans of his fielding.  Morgan’s season compares well to Wagner’s and Gywnn’s seasons too.

 

Giambi 2000: 153 Total Runs

A)     Giambi could really walk, and it shows in his Total Runs score. 

 

Just to sum up what I’ve done in this post I’ll make a chart.

Name
Year
Total Runs
Barry Bonds
2004
230
Nap Lajoie
1901
150
Roger Maris
1961
127
Tony Gywnn
1987
154
Honus Wagner
1908
174
Joe Morgan
1975
164
Jason Giambi
2000
153

 

I will do more of these in the future, thanks for reading. 

\

No comments:

Post a Comment