Pages

Monday, June 30, 2014

Estimated Runs Created



A new way to do Runs Created without going through the extremely long formula is a thing I recently tinkered with a bit.  Here is the simple formula.

Hits+Walks+Hit By Pitch

SB times 0.24=

CS times 0.76=

Subtract the SB times by the CS times results, then it will look like this.

Hits+Walks+Hit By Pitch+Base running runs= A number, then divide by 2.5 to get their estimated Runs Created.

 

 

 
Example:

Using Ray Durham’s 2000 season

172+75+7=254

25 SB times 0.24= 6 runs

13 CS times= 10 runs

254-4=250

250 divided by 2.5=100 Estimated Runs Created compared to 102 real Runs Created

 

I’ve tested it on several more players and it usually comes within 10 of their real Runs Created count.  Now I can calculate Total Runs for everybody the history of baseball.  Until I refine Fielding Linear Weights, I will be using the also flawed Fielding Runs from the ESPN Baseball Encyclopedia.  Base running runs will also be in the metric, but it will be combined into Runs Created.  Park Factors and League Adjustments will still be in Total Runs because I will be able to do them for all eras.

No comments:

Post a Comment